AENEAS membership brings many benefits and there is no fee to join the Association. If you are interested in funded collaborative programmes in Europe, such as PENTA, EURIPIDES, and ECSEL, AENEAS provides extensive support to these instruments. Therefore, AENEAS requests that project participants who actually receive funding pay a Variable Contribution*. AENEAS membership provides an easy mechanism for fulfilling the required commitment to the Variable Contribution for all programmes that AENEAS supports.
Declaration of Acceptance signatories for ECSEL Projects
In line with the new EU Financial Regulations, as of Call 2020, AENEAS will no longer accept new Declaration of Acceptances (DoA) for ECSEL projects. However, for ECSEL projects until and including the Calls of 2019, participants can sign an ECSEL DoA.
Declaration of Acceptance signatories for PENTA and EURIPIDES Projects
If limited participation in EUREKA programmes is envisaged, there is an option to submit a project specific Declaration of Acceptance (DoA). Please note that this will be required for every project that a partner participates in, so a free AENEAS membership may be a more convenient mechanism to fulfil this requirement.
AENEAS Variable Contribution
- For ECSEL and PENTA projects, the Variable Contribution is a set percentage of the Maximum Possible Funding of each Member or PENTA DoA signatory and all its Affiliated Companies.
- For AENEAS Members and PENTA DoA signatories, following the General Assembly of November 2020, the 2021 Variable Contribution for ECSEL and PENTA projects has been capped at 1.8% of the Maximum Possible Funding.
- For ECSEL DoA signatories, the agreed percentage** for 2020 is set at 1.9%, which is applicable to 2021 invoicing for AENEAS.
- For ECSEL projects, the Maximum Possible Funding is the sum of the EC and National Funding to be received as expected at the start of the project.
- For PENTA projects, the Maximum Possible Funding is the National Funding to be received as expected at the start of the project.
- For EURIPIDES projects, the Variable Contribution*** is defined as 1.5% of the eligible project cost of each funded participant, be it a Member or a DoA signatory.
- For projects of the EUREKA Cluster AI Calls 2020 and 2021, the Variable Contribution**** is defined as 1.5% of the eligible project cost of each funded participant, be it a Member or a DoA signatory.
- Any change in the conditions above requires approval of the AENEAS General Assembly.
- The Variable Contribution is invoiced in 3 instalments over 3 consecutive years.
- The first instalment will be issued in the year after the start of the project(s) and sent in the first quarter of that year.
- In 2021, invoices will be sent for projects of ECSEL Calls 2017 1-2, 2018 1-2, and 2019 1-2, and PENTA Calls 2, 3, and 4.
For detailed information, please refer to the AENEAS Internal Regulations and AENEAS Articles of Association.
*The C Members (Corporate) in ECSEL projects, in accordance with Clause 2 of the Internal Regulations, agreed to pay an Extra Variable Contribution for non-contributing non-members (otherwise known as free-riders), participating in the same projects as they are. The list of estimated non-members will be sent with the Variable Contribution invoice, thus allowing C Members to encourage non-members to become a member (or a DoA signatory for ECSEL projects until and including the Calls of 2019) before the Extra Variable Contribution invoice is issued as of the 1st of September.
**The three JU Associations of ECSEL (AENEAS, ARTEMIS-IA, and EPoSS) have agreed to a coordinated approach to invoicing contributions so that partners who are members or DoA signatories of 2 or 3 Associations are not charged double or triple amounts. To implement this, the Maximum Possible Funding is divided according to membership status, before each association issues their respective invoices at their respective rates. It is important to note that AENEAS invoices one year after the start of the project, unlike ARTEMIS-IA and EPoSS. The status of membership & DoA signatories is reviewed amongst the 3 associations at the end of each year for the following year.
***EURIPIDES programme has specific rules as defined in the Articles of Associations of the EURIPIDES association before it was absorbed by AENEAS. Therefore, the original rules are applied.
****EUREKA Clusters Calls are joint thematic Calls across all EUREKA Clusters, and follow specific rules agreed between all clusters. For the AI Calls of 2020 and 2021, the clusters agreed on a Variable Contribution equal to 1.5% of the eligible project cost of each funded participant, be it a Member or a DoA signatory.