Horizon Europe is the new framework programme running from 2021-2027 with a budget of around €95.5 billion for 2021-2027 (current prices).
The budget includes €5.4 billion (current prices) from NextGenerationEU to boost the European recovery and make the EU more resilient for the future, as well as an additional reinforcement of €4.5 billion (current prices). It represents a 30% increase vis-à-vis Horizon 2020 (for EU27 and in constant prices) and makes it the most ambitious research and innovation programme in the world.
It is expected to be ‘the main tool to strengthen our scientific and technological base, develop solutions for healthier living, drive digital transformation and fight climate change, for our collective resilience’ as highlighted by Commissioner for Innovation, Research, Culture, Education and Youth, Mariya Gabriel.
The key goals
- to strengthen the EU’s scientific and technological bases
- to boost Europe’s innovation capacity, competitiveness and jobs
- to deliver on citizens’ priorities and sustain our socio-economic model and values
A novelty, the EU missions, an integral part of Horizon Europe
These missions are commitments to solve some of the greatest challenges facing our world like fighting cancer, adapting to climate change, protecting our oceans, living in greener cities and ensuring soil health and food. They will contribute to the goals of the European Green Deal, Europe’s Beating Cancer Plan as well as the Sustainable Development Goals.
They are an integral part of the Horizon Europe framework programme beginning in 2021. Each mission will operate as a portfolio of actions – such as research projects, policy measures or even legislative initiatives – to achieve a measurable goal that could not be achieved through individual actions.
More on the missions here.
- The first Horizon Europe Strategic Plan (2021-2024) is expected to be adopted in February 2021.
- The first work programmes are expected to be published by April 2021.
- The first calls will open once the work programmes have been published.